WorkSafe Victoria target blitz on portable ladders
Starting this week, WorkSafe Victoria will be conducting a targeted blitz at domestic and commercial building sites on the use of portable ladders.
In a notice, issued last week, WorkSafe Victoria announced they will be focusing on whether ladders is the right tool for the job and whether it is being used correctly.
Safety tips for using portable ladders
When using a ladder to provide access, the ladder must:
- extend a minimum of 900mm above the landing
- be secured at the top and bottom
- be set up at a height to ratio of 4:1
- be set up so the user is able to maintain 3 points of contact eg: 2 feet, 1 hand.
- be in an environment that is appropriate for a ladder to be used
- be setup on an even and stable surface
- not be exposed to weather (high winds/rain)
When using a ladder to work from users:
- must always be able to maintain 3 points of contact.
- should never over-reach, straddle or face away from the ladder
- should never stand on or above the second top rung.
To find out what Worksafe Inspectors will be looking for, please visit Worksafe Vic’s website.