HRIA relaunches Apprenticeship & Traineeship Scheme (HATS)
After successfully completing the pilot program for the HRIA’s Apprenticeship & Traineeship Scheme (HATS) earlier this year, the Association, along with National Training Organisation and VERTO, will be again offering HATS to HRIA, EWPA and TSHA Members in NSW.
As a result of the recently announced Boosting Apprenticeship Commencements wage subsidy, not only does the HATS training cost continue to be subsidised by the NSW Government, there is now also a 50% wage subsidy for eligible employers of Apprentices and Trainees.
Boosting Apprenticeship Commencements wage subsidy
As part of the Government’s Economic Response to COVID-19, and commitment to a skilled economy, an additional $1.2 billion has been announced to encourage employers to take on 100,000 new apprentices and trainees.
Eligible employers and Group Training Organisations can apply for a wage subsidy of 50 per cent of the commencing or recommencing apprentice or trainee’s gross wages paid from 5 October 2020 until 30 September 2021, up to $7,000 per quarter.
You may be eligible if
• You engage an Australian Apprentice between 5 October 2020 and 30 September 2021; and
• Your Australian Apprentice or trainee is undertaking a Certificate II or higher qualification, and has a training contract that is formally approved by the state training authority. This includes HATS.
How much is the subsidy?
• Eligible employers will receive a wage subsidy of up to 50 per cent of the Australian Apprentice’s gross wage paid.
• The wage subsidy is available for a maximum of $7,000 per quarter per eligible Australian Apprentice.
• The subsidy is available for wages paid from 5 October 2020 to 30 September 2021.
Anything else I should know?
• The subsidy is available to employers of any size, industry or geographic location.
• The subsidy is capped at 100,000 places.
• The subsidy is not available for any apprentice receiving any other form of Australian Government wage subsidy e.g. Supporting Apprentices and Trainees or JobKeeper.
• Payments will be made quarterly in arrears, with first claims for the subsidy available from 1 January 2021.
• Final claims for payment must be lodged by 31 December 2021.
The HRIA Apprenticeship & Traineeship Scheme (HATS)
Designed to provide further education opportunities to staff working within the hire and rental industry, the HRIA Apprenticeship & Traineeship Scheme (HATS) is based on the well-established qualification – Certificate III in Business.
The HRIA Apprenticeship & Traineeship Scheme will allow you to build your employees capabilities while having minimal impact on your business. Government incentives and payroll tax exemptions are available, creating a training surplus, and having motivated staff will ensure you improve staff retention rates as well as build a competitive edge in the market.
“I enjoyed my opportunity to join the HATS program through Preston Hire – as it has allowed me to upskill in my current position as well as lead to furthering my education and knowledge within the Hire industry. It has assisted me to continue my training and education with my current enrolment into the Cert IV in business. It’s great to be supported by Preston Hire and the HRIA HATS program to allow me to work towards my goals and personal development within the hire industry.”
Madeleine Honyi, Preston Hire
The HRIA Apprenticeship & Traineeship Scheme has been designed to minimise the impact on the hire and rental business and the student. After expression of interest the entire process from determining eligibility, funding application and sign up to the program will be managed for you by our partner VERTO. The face to face training sessions will take place over 5 or 6 days over a 12-month period.
“Preston Hire were very pleased to be involved in the HATS program in 2019/2020. We had staff in NSW that were new to the Hire industry and we felt this was a great way to get them to have an understanding and learn with others in similar roles. One staff member was promoted to our head office team in customer service after completing her course and has since gone on to do further company supported educations. We would support further development of this program for any of our staff, and we would like to see this expanded to other states where possible. The delivery suits our team as it fits in with their day to day duties.”
Jenny Grosvenor, Preston Hire
More details on the HRIA Apprenticeship & Traineeship Scheme including cost and funding, eligibility, course duration and content can be found in the below documents
HRIA Apprenticeship and Traineeship Scheme (HATS) Flyer
HRIA Apprenticeship and Traineeship Scheme (HATS) FAQs
Please complete the expression of interest form below and send to Ashlee Greene at VERTO to confirm eligibility
For more information on the program or for details on how to enrol staff please contact